Go Back   Henshin Justice Unlimited > Halls of Science > The Power Chamber

The Power Chamber General & Entertainment Discussion - Drop on in, strap on your morpher, blaster or whatever you wear to kick back with the rest of us fans. Movies, Television, Power Rangers, or any everyday ol' thing. Welcome to The Power Chamber.

Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Black Ranger RX
WE ARE V.R.!!!
 
Black Ranger RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Planet Mars.
Posts: 7,720
Default My Interest in Tokusatsu is on Life Support

Hey guys, just wanted to make a rant!! Don't like it, don't read it.

Anyway, as the title states, my interest in Tokusatsu is pretty much dying, and I've been trying to save it but it doesn't seem to me like it's working.

There used to be a time where I was so into Tokusatsu to the level of obsession. I used to do Tokusatsu websites and stuff.. ..but nowadays it's not so much like that.

And the reason why my interest in Tokusatsu is dying is far beyond Gokaiger and certain other series sucking..

First of all, I've been reading this guy's post about how Toei "Don't give a shit" about us pirating their Toku..

http://diaxiann.tumblr.com/post/1701...ating-toku-and

He says that just because shows like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are made with the Merchandising in mind, Toei really couldn't care about people who download their Toku series.

But I couldn't even remotely agree with him ONE bit. WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE?!!!

The only evidence I'm seeing is that Toei DOES give a shit about their stuff being pirated. The only thing they DON'T give a shit about is the fact that people actually want to watch this stuff.

This is why they've got people arrested who've uploaded these shows on the internet for people to download. For example, they've even arrested.. I think it was a Japanese man who uploaded some episodes of Gokaiger onto a KOREAN website.

This, AND the fact they they have blocked the whole world outside of Japan from watching their Tokusatsu shows that they've uploaded onto their own YouTube channel, gives me the impression that Toei are arrogant towards foreigners who want to even remotely watch these shows at all. This I personally find ironic considering that they've even gave other companies permisson to release Kamen Rider V3 in Hawaii, even the whole DragonBall series in the US and Cutie Honey in the UK to name a few.

He also talks about people who want to watch these Tokusatsu shows on Crunchyroll.

To be honest, I would rather watch these shows on Crunchyroll, than spend ridiculous monney on DVDs. Surely I wouldn't mind sitting through some stupid 40 second commercial for Cillit Bang before watching Kamen Rider if it means Toei are going to get their monney from Advertizing revenue. That's what I want to do, support the industry. But right now that's just wishful thinking. Whether Toei will ever be interested to let them show GoRanger to Go-Busters and Kamen Rider 1GO to Fourze and many of their other Tokusatsu shows on Crunchyroll, and get their monney from advertizing revenue.. I doubt it. And since they even got the man who uploaded Gokaiger on the Korean website arrested I doubt that they're interested in free advertizement.

And no I don't want to spend wads of monney on merchandise because first of all I don't have enough space for this stuff, secondly, what would I do with a belt that doesn transform you in to Kamen Rider anyway? All it does is make silly electrical noises.

He also mentioned that Toei actually CONTACTED TV Nihon and asked them to take down the "Masked Rider The First" movie, because it got released in the US. Well the way I remember it is that TV Nihon took the movie down by themselves because they knew the movie was going to be released on DVD in the US anyway. Toei never had any involvement.

Moving swiftly on it doesn't end there. Another thing that's killing Tokusatsu for me is... the whole bloody Anti Internet Piracy, SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, BLAH BLAH thing.. The American government want to make it illegal one way or another for people to upload or download anything that is copyrighted. And they want this law to be passed all around the world, even England. This means that if I wanted to watch a Japanese Tokusatsu series then I'm fucked. I either have to spend weeks trying to save £100 to buy 10 episodes of Kamen Rider Whatever across 2 discs on YesAsia.com, or forget Tokusatsu.

Also it is a risk!! One really convinient thing about downloading and uploading Tokusatsu shows on the internet is you can make damn sure that you actually enjoy watching this show before you buy the DVDs. Considering how expenisve these DVDs are. It would be really embarassing to spend £100 on 10 episodes of some certain Japanese TV show you never watched only to find that it a pile of dog-vomit.

I know that SOPA and PIPA are surposed to be dead but there are other bills with the exact same concepts as SOPA and PIPA comming up. And from what I heard there are also people voluentarily trying to get people arrested for this kind of crap.

So yeah.. that has been my rant and as I said, my interest in Tokusatsu is on life support. I'm not saying that it's completely dead but I just don't think there's a bright future for it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love watching Kamen Rider and Super Sentai and similar shows, and I don't mind that they were not targetted at my age group. What I am completely against is being prevented from watching these shows.

And I cannot believe anybody who tells me that no-one's stopping me from watching these shows, because obviously Toei are, with their high DVD prices and blocking people outside of Japan from watching their YouTube channel..

RANT OVER.
Black Ranger RX is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
MMPR
Read my smart post
 
MMPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,619
Default

I don't blame you. My Toku interest has gone down also. The only series I have enjoyed recently was Gokaiger (which I thought was mind blowing) but the rest of the stuff was so bad. I hated Goseiger, I thought OOO was a giant toy commercial, I hate the tone of Fourze, PR Samurai is just shit and because of this I haven't started Go-Busters yet (I will eventually)

The only thing keeping me in Toku is the fansub groups. I'm currently watching Dairanger by HON and next I plan on watch KR Black by Century Kings
MMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Aoi Kurenai
Mad Skillz
 
Aoi Kurenai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 19,010
Default

So your...lack of interest comes not from the shows but from the fact that Toei doesn't want to release them beyond Asia? Sorry but that does sound a little ridiculous. Sure it would be pretty cool to be able to legally purchase more tokusatsu, but there just isn't a serious market for it beyond Asia as anything more than "those kooky Japanese Power Rangers ripoffs / guys in cheap monster suits" niche. As much as we would like to believe the tokusatsu fandom is big enough to aim these sort of releases at, it just isn't at the moment. Heck, I even think Saban is taking a gamble in releasing Power Rangers season DVDs. (but I won't complain, I still plan on getting some)

And it's not as if Toei wants to keep their stuff out of the hands of foreigners at all, nothing could be further from the truth. Toei even has an American branch that actively seeks new licenses to air on TV. Heck, you had Digimon Adventure 02 released subtitled on Crunchy Roll because there was a big enough demand for it, sadly the anime fanbase is just a lot bigger. Tokusatsu isn't like anime in that some people will think it's okay to like it at an older age, I can bet that 99% of the population sees it all as irredeemable kids stuff, and Toei probably believes that general mindset is too great to overcome.

Kamen Rider V3 and Kikaider found releases because they were aimed at the Hawaiian market. Hawaii is an area with a majority Asian population and actually has a lot of Japanese immigrants, so there's some sort of market for it there.

Let's not even get started on the fact that aside from those two sets, nothing has really boomed. Last I heard, Iron King and Red Baron only did just decent and Kamen Rider the First actually didn't do too well at all. (though I'm not sure if we can blame this on it being a bad movie or not)

And the YouTube blocking in general has more to do with international rights than Toei being Western hating bigots who don't want them see their precious tokusatsu programs. (a lot of official British services do this as well, doesn't mean they hate outsiders) The chances of you being taken to court or arrested or whatever silly fear because you download tokusatsu are pretty rare, you'll always be served a C&D order by your ISP, at least in America, but even then, tokusatsu shows aren't exactly high on the list of trigger titles for ISPs to search for.
__________________
R - S - T


Last edited by Aoi Kurenai; 03-27-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Aoi Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
KingRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,412
Default

No offense, but your entire argument sounds stupid. You are not liking toku because toei doesn't want to release it outside Japan? Just get over it. There are a lot of other ways to watch toku.
KingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Black Ranger RX
WE ARE V.R.!!!
 
Black Ranger RX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Planet Mars.
Posts: 7,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoi Kurenai View Post
And the YouTube blocking in general has more to do with international rights than Toei being Western hating bigots who don't want them see their precious tokusatsu programs. (a lot of official British services do this as well, doesn't mean they hate outsiders)
Episodes of Mr Bean have been officially uploaded onto YouTube on the official Mr Bean YouTube channel and are available freely worldwide.

I think Toei could even learn a lot from Mr Bean.
Black Ranger RX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
GoseiGold
Member
 
GoseiGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoi Kurenai View Post
So your...lack of interest comes not from the shows but from the fact that Toei doesn't want to release them beyond Asia? Sorry but that does sound a little ridiculous. Sure it would be pretty cool to be able to legally purchase more tokusatsu, but there just isn't a serious market for it beyond Asia as anything more than "those kooky Japanese Power Rangers ripoffs / guys in cheap monster suits" niche. As much as we would like to believe the tokusatsu fandom is big enough to aim these sort of releases at, it just isn't at the moment. Heck, I even think Saban is taking a gamble in releasing Power Rangers season DVDs. (but I won't complain, I still plan on getting some)

And it's not as if Toei wants to keep their stuff out of the hands of foreigners at all, nothing could be further from the truth. Toei even has an American branch that actively seeks new licenses to air on TV. Heck, you had Digimon Adventure 02 released subtitled on Crunchy Roll because there was a big enough demand for it, sadly the anime fanbase is just a lot bigger. Tokusatsu isn't like anime in that some people will think it's okay to like it at an older age, I can bet that 99% of the population sees it all as irredeemable kids stuff, and Toei probably believes that general mindset is too great to overcome.

Kamen Rider V3 and Kikaider found releases because they were aimed at the Hawaiian market. Hawaii is an area with a majority Asian population and actually has a lot of Japanese immigrants, so there's some sort of market for it there.

Let's not even get started on the fact that aside from those two sets, nothing has really boomed. Last I heard, Iron King and Red Baron only did just decent and Kamen Rider the First actually didn't do too well at all. (though I'm not sure if we can blame this on it being a bad movie or not)

And the YouTube blocking in general has more to do with international rights than Toei being Western hating bigots who don't want them see their precious tokusatsu programs. (a lot of official British services do this as well, doesn't mean they hate outsiders) The chances of you being taken to court or arrested or whatever silly fear because you download tokusatsu are pretty rare, you'll always be served a C&D order by your ISP, at least in America, but even then, tokusatsu shows aren't exactly high on the list of trigger titles for ISPs to search for.
This is actually a sound argument, i have all of Shaider, B-Fighter, Kamen Rider Super-1 downloaded i'm not in any great fear.
GoseiGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
TommyOliver21
Fly up, TaJaDor!
 
TommyOliver21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Behind you. ;D
Posts: 577
Default

Honestly, the only way I'm watching Toku is from subs. Over-Time, Hikari Senshi, etc. I never watch full episodes on YouTube, that's just silly.
__________________

Credit goes to Senshi for the banner.
Toku watching now: ToQger, Gaim, GARO, considering watching Kakuranger and Goranger
TommyOliver21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
KingRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyOliver21 View Post
Honestly, the only way I'm watching Toku is from subs. Over-Time, Hikari Senshi, etc. I never watch full episodes on YouTube, that's just silly.
Why is watching on youtube silly?
KingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
sgtkira
Super Kamen Sentai Rider
 
sgtkira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger View Post
Why is watching on youtube silly?
Not him, but for me it'd be silly because normally people are uploading AVIs, and I'm not even sure if you could do MKVs. Either way, imagine meh hardsub being uploaded to a streaming website. It's gonna look like crap XD Now I'd suck up streaming if it was official, yeah. But uploading something that has already been encoded with subs is not going to look super special awesome (usually).
__________________
Hikari Senshi (Fansubs) http://hikarisenshi.wordpress.com//
Finished: Gosei Sentai Dairanger 50/50
Currently Releasing: Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoV 09/50
Space Sheriff Gavan 5/50
GoGo Sentai Boukenger 2/50
sgtkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
KingRanger
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtkira View Post
Not him, but for me it'd be silly because normally people are uploading AVIs, and I'm not even sure if you could do MKVs. Either way, imagine meh hardsub being uploaded to a streaming website. It's gonna look like crap XD Now I'd suck up streaming if it was official, yeah. But uploading something that has already been encoded with subs is not going to look super special awesome (usually).
True. But some people don't have the option to download. I think youtube is fine for some people. As long as people are enjoying toku, I honestly don't care how they get it.
KingRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Support Indie American Tokusatsu! jfreedan Henshin Justice Unlimited 213 11-30-2011 10:34 PM
Tokusatsu of the Month - Interest thread Aoi Kurenai Henshin Justice Unlimited 32 12-09-2010 12:23 AM
Tech Support! Kivat The Power Chamber 22 02-07-2010 08:46 AM
'Poltergeist' Star Zelda Rubinstein Taken Off Life Support? Ragna "D" BloodEdge The Power Chamber 3 12-31-2009 01:05 PM
Japanese Support Chronotia Archzenom The Power Chamber 3 01-16-2009 05:33 AM


» Community
» Site Announcements
Tamashii Web Shop Now...
Yesterday 02:20 PM
Last post by HenshinJustice.Com
Yesterday 02:20 PM
0 Replies, 125 Views
Ultraman Ginga?s...
Yesterday 02:00 PM
Last post by HenshinJustice.Com
Yesterday 02:00 PM
0 Replies, 85 Views
Kamen Rider Drive?s...
09-22-2014 02:50 PM
Last post by ArirtTax
Yesterday 06:28 AM
1 Replies, 502 Views
CSM DecaDriver and Rider...
10-23-2014 10:50 PM
Last post by HenshinJustice.Com
10-23-2014 10:50 PM
0 Replies, 171 Views
Sponsor
» Recent Threads
The Official Power...
05-07-2014 08:52 PM
Last post by Undrave
Today 12:59 AM
167 Replies, 17,525 Views
Kamen Rider Drive Ep 3 -...
10-18-2014 07:19 PM
Last post by Lockon
Today 12:10 AM
63 Replies, 5,815 Views
X-men and fox
Yesterday 06:27 PM
Last post by Bigdog
Yesterday 11:45 PM
3 Replies, 124 Views
XW1n5t0nX's Sales Thread
10-10-2014 10:10 PM
Last post by XW1n5t0nX
Yesterday 11:23 PM
11 Replies, 940 Views
Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



Sponsor


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Technical Support by RangerCentral & Vaelek